The baby’s room decoration full of illusion to parents. Preparations, the choice of colors and the purchase of furniture and accessories to play must be prepared with time to prevent fatigue and stress which can be for the MOM to leave it for last minute. The end of the second trimester of pregnancy and the beginning of the third, i.e., around five or six months of pregnancy, is considered as the ideal time to prepare baby, which must be completed prior to the delivery room.
When you start to prepare your baby’s room
Many mothers begin with preparations for the room when your doctor confirms them, by the 20 week ultrasound, the sex of your baby. Knowing that expected a boy or a girl shoot the wishes of parents to prepare a welcoming place for your child, and this activity help to make shorter the wait, especially in the last months of pregnancy when they begin to be eager to learn about your baby.
These modern preparations are also related to so-called syndrome of the nest who experience many species, and which has an ancient origin. Represents the instinct that feel pregnant women prepare the nest, in this case the bedroom of the baby at home, to receive to your newborn. In fact, many women about to give birth often comment that they have put to clean the House order and place everything just days before delivery. The collaboration of the father in the preparations for the nest is very positive and makes you feel in a more real and close his involvement in pregnancy.
The personal taste of the couple plays a key role in the choice of decoration, but it is also important to think about the practical sense that must have the room throughout the growth of the child. It should be noted that convertible furniture, washable walls, neutral colors… are very practical solutions, allowing you to stay to go to adapt to the evolution of the small.
It is easy to have an ideal bedroom for your baby at home not always. However, when the time comes, silent and best illuminated the House choose the room more. The main requirements that must be met are:
Silence. It guarantees the peace that your baby needs to relax, especially at the beginning, when you spend more hours asleep than awake. Therefore should not be in an area of step, that the windows are not oriented to a busy street, and that is close to your bedroom to listen to him during the night and you are more comfortable to serve you.
Lighting. The natural light in the bedroom will help baby distinguish between day and night, and encourage their games during the day. It would be ideal that the room was outside and had a good window allowing to air daily and the passage of natural light.
Amplitude. Ideal for creating two ambiences, one resting and feeding and other games. When it is not possible to have plenty of space, the placement of a carpet in the Center for games and the withdrawal of the furniture to the area of the walls, allows to create these two environments.
The basic elements of a baby’s room are the crib and changer.
The cradle. It is the basis of the rest of the new Member of the family. Currently, all shims must be approved to be safe, since most of the children sleep in them up to 2 or 3 years. Make sure that materials, distance between balusters, brackets to raise and lower the bed base, mattress and the height of the bars, have passed security and it controls figure on the label of the manufacturer. And if you’re using a borrowed Cot, it is necessary to verify that:
- The materials used and the paint or lacquered non toxic, because that could harm your baby by contact or by mouth.
- The distance between bars may not exceed 6 cm to avoid the child to strain her head.
- The maximum height of the corners of the crib bars should be 0.16 cm.
- More than two fingers between the mattress and the crib frame should not fit.
And also, keep in mind that:
- Padded shields that are put around the crib or padding are not recommended because they prevent the circulation of air and there is risk of suffocation.
- Cribs with moving rails are dangerous because they can cause a fall of baby to climb and lean your body forward. This act causes an impact of the head against the ground.
- The mattress should be comfortable and safe. Currently are manufactured of different materials: spring, latex and coconut fiber, foam and memory foam. The most recommended are the memory foam and latex, because they transpire and are adaptable to the baby’s body, and the coconut fiber, which prevents the accumulation of moisture.
Another version of the wedge is the Moses, a small wedge which only serves for the first months of the baby’s life. It is recommended for moms who want to have close to his small overnight and have a little space in the room. After six months, it is recommended to pass to the baby crib. Some cribs bring an adapter to put inside the Moses, also known as a reducing agent, which allows that the newly born don’t miss a big wedge.
The changer. During the first months, the baby needs 8 to 12 daily diaper changes, so that the choice of a good changer in height, allowing to change the diaper without having to bend over, is critical to not suffer back pain. In addition, it is essential to have everything at hand at that time, since should never be left the baby alone or to neglect in the exchanger, since it may fall. Therefore, exchangers which have drawers or pockets are the most practical.
Currently you can choose for a pushchair, if you prefer to place it in the bathroom, or a cambiador-mueble with drawers to put it in the baby’s bedroom.
The European standard EN 12221-1/2 that regulates the changer and the cambiadores-muebles baths safety requirements requires that:
- Exchangers must carry two or more wheels and, at least, two legs or four wheels or more, of which at least two must be able to lock. If the pushchair or Cabinet drawers is equipped with wheels, we will check that they are well and they do not get stuck, and that brake effectively blocking the movement of furniture.
- The mattress should not slide.
- All parts of the structure that make up the bathtub and changer, even surfaces, must be easily accessible for cleaning and washable.
What you can not miss
As we have the crib and changer they are the two essential elements, but also in your baby’s room can not miss:
A wardrobe. It is necessary to have organized all the baby clothes, with area for hangers and drawers. You can also save the cradle, as blankets, duvets and bed linen clothing, as well as bath clothing, and layers and towels for the exclusive use of the small.
A breastfeeding Chair. Baby bedroom is the ideal place for their food, which should be a moment of peace and relaxation for both MOM and its small. Both if you give your chest as if you feed it with bottle, a Chair of lactation that sit comfortably with your baby on your lap will be one of the most functional elements during the coming months. There are numerous models with different designs that you can adapt to the decoration that you’ve chosen in the market. Many of them are even reclining and elevating the feet.
Side table. It is very practical to make discs of lactation, the glass of water, bottle, bib… Next to the Chair of nursing will be the perfect complement to be comfortable at all times while you hold your baby in arms.
The taste for certain colors, the choice of the furniture, the theme will… determine the beauty of the bedroom of the newborn. Below are some ideas that you will come in handy when it comes to decorating your baby’s room:
The walls. There are many options for lining the walls.
- Painting. Paint of choice should be the water, which is non-toxic, and can be easily washed to remove stains or rods. It has the advantage of being economic and to do the work without having to hire a professional.
- Paper or fabric. The result is elegant and excellent, but it is a more expensive option, since we need a specialist to place them. Recommended when the room is small and you want to expand its optical effect by choosing vertical stripes.
- Vinyl. It has the advantage of being very hygienic, since it cleans easily. It is usually placed on a single wall, and combined with other elements such as paint or paper.
- Valances. They can be placed on paint or paper. They can be of adhesive paper either hollow strips to fill the interior with paint and remove. Both decorative options offer good results, according to personal tastes.
The soil. The tile being too cold, and the carpet because it accumulates much dust and can be harmful to the allergy, are less recommended materials for flooring of the baby’s room.
In contrast, soils of wood or laminate flooring, warm and easy to clean, and the Cork or vinyl, comfortable and hygienic, are the most appropriate.
The furniture. Only place the furniture fair, i.e., those who are going to need. All you’ll need is a wedge, a changer, a wardrobe, a nursing Chair and a coffee table. If you don’t have much space, paste them into the wall, choose models with rounded edges, and avoid placing objects in glass or ceramic that can break.
The lighting. Artificial light should consist of a lamp ceiling, that illuminates the room in general, and a Nightlight auxiliary glimmer to attend to the baby during the night and prevent it be revealed.
- Curtains and blinds are necessary to control the entrance of natural light during daytime sleep of the baby. It is advisable that they are designed to measure the window, coming not to the ground to avoid accidents when the small start to crawl, and that are made with fabrics or materials that do not catch much dust.
Details and ornaments. Decorative details should not be used only as aesthetic plug-ins, but they have their importance as objects of early stimulation for the senses of the baby. Forms, colours, figures, pictures… all of this is part of your viewing area and, in general, the colorful and moving objects will call your attention.
What color to choose for your baby’s room? It is not an easy decision because to succeed you have to combine personal taste with the characteristics of space and lighting of the room intended to the newborn. The aim is to seek harmony in a warm and pleasant atmosphere that transmit security. In general, the most advisable shades are the clear and soft, which can be combined with other opposing or stronger of the same range, always looking for the balance.
Warm colors. Yellow and orange, clear and soft. They are recommended for the rooms that overlook the North, do not receive direct sun and, in general, are bright and cold. These colors provide plenty of light and, at the same time, create a warm atmosphere. Red is a color too strong and stimulating for a rest area, and should only be used in one of the walls. The rose is an elegant color, traditionally used in the rooms of girls. Choose a range of soft roses to create harmony. All warm colors blend well with the white.
Cool colors. Blue, green, mauve and violet are fresh colors that are in very hot and sunny rooms. The darker ranges require space and spacious rooms. These colors stimulate concentration and are very relaxing. Traditionally, blue was the color of choice in children’s bedrooms, and they are now fashion the mauves, LILACS and violets in the bedrooms of girls.
Neutral colors. Whites, creams, smoked or grayscale very clear. They are very elegant and visually enlarge the space, so they are especially recommended for small rooms. If, in addition, are painted the ceiling white or a lighter color, they would earn in sense of height. Support hints of more intense color in accessories and textile.