Many times parents are desperate to show they can not communicate with their children because they do not speak and do not know what they need when they cry. And, later, nor understand what they want to say their first words. Other parents is overwhelming because their children don’t speak like other children of the same age, and wondering what they can do to help your child to develop language before.
In the early years of children’s lives are given a series of important milestones: the ability to navigate autonomously (walk), the learning of reading and writing and, of course, speech.
The acquisition of these skills will allow the child to be more autonomous and make that your education is infinitely simple, both for parents and educators.
When do they begin to talk about children?
Child language passes through different stages in which the child communicates within its possibilities, even before you start talking; It is an evolution with a few more or less defined times and, although each child has their own pace, the usual process is:
- From the source: from birth, and until the words come, the child will begin to communicate through crying, guttural sounds and babbling. All these forms of communication are very important to its development, since that depending on our responses to them means, sooner or later, the importance of communication.
- Within a year: before the first year of life, in general, children start as to utter their first words, which is a transcendental moment, both for the child and their family environment. Little by little, these words must be accompanied by a non-verbal communicative as, for example, take the hand diaper when you need to change it.
- Up to the year and a half: baby consolidating the series of words that form its communicative repertoire and his next step is the union of two words in search of a more exact meaning of what you want; If, for example, said “mama”, it will now say “MOM here”, expressing that he wants his mother about.
- Between 2-3 years: the most significant moment in the evolution of the language is given between two and three years. It is at this time that greatly expand your vocabulary, which begin to spin sentences and be able to maintain simple conversations.
- From the three years: the child begins to acquire the adult language, beginning to manage aspects of grammar, greatly expanding their vocabulary and developing more complex phrases.
- Up to 11 years: the development of the language continues to 11 years approximately, but is five when the child has already acquired the most important aspects of the language; from now on, you will be polishing details.
The first words of the baby
All come us to mind that the first words of the babies tend to be “Dad” and “MOM”, but for other children is “bread”. These are the most common, although not necessarily the children begin to speak with them.
Before completing one year, children begin with the ecolalias or repetitive babbling. On the other hand, there are a number of simple pronunciation phonemes: / m /, / p /, /a/ and/e /. With these two factors will tend to give these simple words that become the first words of the child.
A determining factor is the stimulation that the small request in your environment. Usually, the desire of parents is that their son called them “MOM” and “Dad”, by which will repeat it the baby in a constant way, vocalizing perfectly so that you understand it, but if the child receives the same stimulus to other simple words, it is highly likely that these are his first words.
One of the things that causes more stress to parents is to not be able to understand their children when they still do not speak, when they cry inconsolably and seemingly nothing happens, when you are anxious or listless.
Firstly, it is important to not fret, since the child, although still not talk, note that anxiety from four months. And it is that at that age he begins to distinguish the emotional qualities of language and intonation.
It is appropriate that, from birth, both the father and the mother to spend time with your baby and show much interest in communicating with her son, beyond words. This will contribute to parents discover how your child is expressed, and to find the differences between the various cries of the baby, his guttural sounds and its infancy, because each one expresses a need that, with time, will learn to differentiate.
On the other hand, it is important that another type of communication will work with children. In this regard, to enhance communication with children prior to oral language only we can work the body expression. So, kids can learn without any problem to point out their body parts (and thus be able to show where it hurts) and to express their basic needs to communicate (taking the hands to the mouth it will indicate hunger or thirst, to diaper will mark that it needs to be changed, etc).
Some children do not speak when others his age already do. The first tip for parents who see their children do not follow the development of the language at the same level that set standards is that they do not overwhelm, think not that your child has a serious problem, and that they do not transmit so your insecurity to small, since this will receive it and will not feel comfortable to express themselves.
Simple language delay is a most common pathology of what we could imagine, and in no case implies that the child will not talk about or having some sort of problem for his vital development.
When we appreciate that our son does not follow the rhythm that follow others in the progressive acquisition of the language, we must have patience and keep stimulating him, since so it can reach the same rate as other children.
If we see that the kid takes significantly more than others in getting the same achievements – more or less half year delay, it is convenient that we enlist an expert that we advise. To do this, we can use several professionals:
- If you are enrolled in an educational establishment with guidance, we must come to him and that this us report on how Act. It may also derive you specialist in hearing and language centre (is suitable when choosing Center know which staff are available).
- The most common is that the child is not enrolled in a Center, since these problems occur at younger ages. Therefore, we can go to a speech therapist as a pediatrician; both can explain the causes of the problem and the best solution. However, it is preferable to go, first of all, the pediatrician, since which he will give a diagnosis which include possible neurological injury or phonatory organs; the pediatrician will be then who refer the child to the speech therapist with a more accurate diagnosis that the speech therapist may be supplemented.
Everything can be trained to be improved, the speech also. Therefore, we can work some aspects and follow some guidelines to help the child to speak and promote their language once already acquired. We must also take into account that the more you work it, will be better, although never coming to tire the small.
First of all, the people who are part of the environment of the child, both in the classroom (professionals), and outside (family, friends…), must take care of their language. They are the two models traditionally closest to the kid and this will repeat what they are used to hearing. For this, we must control what hear and, mostly, what programs there is on television when you are ahead. If everything you hear is not suitable to their level, the child does not will be able to imitate it.
On the other hand, when your child begins to speak, not to fix him constantly every failure, it must be complete sentences so that you feel confidence to speak without interruption. When the child makes a mistake we can correct it, either by entering the term in the following sentence that say you, or explaining how to say it. Normally, if the small just make failures it is better to explain how it is said, but if it drops in numerous inaccuracies, it is better to go slowly, correcting their errors in our conversations with him.
Tricks so that the child learns to speak
There are tricks, games and exercises that you can use to stimulate your child and help him to learn to speak. For example, one of the main problems of the kids is the articulation of the phonemes. To improve it, we can make numerous oral exercises that, in addition, to keep you entertained. There are different games like blow small pieces of paper, telling a story about the adventures of language (how it went up and down, how went from right to left, how came out to greet us, how walked teeth…); positive is any game that you can think of us so the child learn to work with the language and is capable of handling it, taking it to different parts of the mouth (palate or different positions) on the teeth.
The taste for oral language is important for the child; you like to use it and want to do so is the key. To encourage him to talk, parents and educators have usually read stories suitable to their age, because thus it will link the images with the voice and will find it easier to follow the story. It is not essential to the use of published stories; for the little it is also very useful to tell you stories but they are devoid of images. In both cases, it is imperative that the adult vocalize well and use a calm tone that transmit the child calm.
The children’s sermonettes are fundamental for the kids when they begin in the oral language; its slow pace, its short phrases and their simple rhymes make the nene to learn them and repeat them without too many problems, which will make you are familiar with oral language, and use it, thus extending their linguistic registers. For this, it is convenient to parents to talk with educators to know which songs are sung in the classroom and thus continuity at home.
Finally, we must not forget the most important thing: show interest in the language of the child, spending time with him and constantly speak in a suitable language to get used to the words.