The foam roller is one of Add-ons essential in your workouts.
Slightly change your training plan to boost profits? Classic dumbbells, kettlebells or fitballs (giant balls for Pilates) are some of the most common objects to complete an exercise, a list that recently you are adding the foam rollers, a kind of rollers that can complement both workouts how to help in the treatment of injuries due to myofascial release, since different parts of the fascia or muscles are worked with him.
The foam roller, which is completely firm rubber or foam padded to allow the bearing without crushing, settles on the ground and is the person that slips by supporting the body in roller and being their own weight which exerts pressure on the apparatus. Thus, fewer points of support on the ground are used (usually arms and legs), the greater the pressure exercised by the roller on who is using it. For this reason, must be very well measure the pressure that is supported on the body, since it must never be painful (except for something bearable when it comes to recovering from an injury).
While initially it was only used as a technique for recovery of injuries, is currently very widespread as another section of the workout routines because practice foam rolling does not require much time, in fact never more than 20 minutes and that would do it all over the body, but rarely trains all the muscles at the same time.
With the foam rolling is usually both before the start of the exercise to prepare the muscle; on the return to calm to relax and stretch muscles; and in the days free to reactivate and cut the recovery period as well as treat injuries or muscle problems.
Does the foam rolling
With the foam rolling works (tissue that protects the body) fascia and muscles offering significant improvements in recovery and readiness for physical activity. All this is due to the massage penetrates in different layers of muscle that activates it and eliminates tensions.
On the other hand, the foam roller manages to enhance the muscles due to the massage that is applied to the deep muscle tissue.
In addition, also used the foam rolling as technical therapeutic working on points that trigger through myofascial release can eliminate or reduce pain and will get more mobility of the affected areas. Trigger points are strained more thickened bands that are found in the muscle fiber, resembling a grain of rice on which is exerted pressure to relieve the pain. It should not be forgotten that the foam rolling as a healing method is not a substitute for a physician or a physical therapist, but a supplement that should be taught by a specialist.
It is advisable to work each muscle group sessions of 60 seconds, and gradually increase the pressure on the foam roller.
The variety of exercises that can be performed with a roll of foam rolling is immense, since it can be used practically for all the muscles of the body impacting beneficially on all of them because of self-liberation myofascial which causes.
Each muscle group is working is done in sessions of about 60 seconds and gradually increase the pressure on the foam roller, provided that this does not cause pain. From exercise to exercise, you should stretch the muscle for about 15 seconds before continuing. Remember that the duration of a full foam rolling session must never exceed 20 minutes.
- Twins: first, notably the good work that can be performed on the twins. Supporting the twin over the foam roll rolling and the free leg resting on it that is going to work (to make downward pressure and that is felt more pressure of the roller on the twin), has to raise the body so the weight is distributed between the arms and the twin who would be the three points of support. In this position you must slide the starting up a down without any hurry to relax the muscle and boost its elasticity.
- Soleus: in the same way is foam rolling with the soleus muscle exercise, doing so from the lower part of the twin to the heel. Although foam rolling is performed therapeutically focusing on the recovery of the twin or the soleus muscle, it do not make only one, being much more advisable to work both legs.
- Buttocks: on the other hand, the foam roller is commonly used to strengthen the glutes. Thus, it must be supported from the elbow to the hand, arm still another point of support of the body on the ground outside of the buttock that goes to work. By placing the roller in the gluteus, exercise has to be carried out as in the example of the twin to better stretch the gluteal and achieve a higher elasticity of muscle. It is important to work on the two buttocks.
- Lumbar: in addition to the legs, there is the possibility of using other parts of the body. An example would be the lumbar area in which foam rolling technique helps improve the elasticity of the area and strengthens it, which helps to reduce the pain. The roll is placed in the sacral region and rest the soles of the feet on the floor with your knees bent and still lying mouth above. Thus, doing the work with legs moves up body down foam rolling roller will slide by the lumbar. In the event that the pressure is very high and reaches to bother or hurt, it is advisable to rest your forearms on the floor to have another point of support that better distribute the weight of the body. Equally, turning slightly body can work the sides of the lower back. In case of chronic lower back problems, is not recommended to use a foam roller except prescription, since although it can relieve pain, it exerts too much pressure spinal cord.
- Abdominal: thanks to the foam roller rolling also can work the abdominal area, getting harden it and improving its musculature. In position upside down only support forearms on the floor, it must roll on the foam roller loading work on the abdominal. The exercise is more complete if session working also the sides and not only the central are made.
- Other areas: the options that offers foam rolling roller are so broad that exercises you can do to improve other parts of the body like the Trapeze, the dorsal, biceps, quads… What is important is to be regular and work conscientiously to make noticeable results in the medium and long term. The rush are never good counselors.
Working with roller points trigger that appear in the body promptly causes that pain will be reduced.
The use of the foam roller gives a number of benefits that should be considered for the practice of sport. First you can see by the moments in which you can work:
- Before the activity: roller gives more mobility to the muscle and, in turn, increases the blood flow. Both prepare the muscle for physical activity that is to be performed.
- After the activity: on the return to calm, the foam roller work improves the elasticity of the muscle, its recovery and reduces the risk of muscle injury.
- In the free days: foam rolling improves circulation thanks to increased activation of the blood supply, more toxins are eliminated and gets larger number of nutrients to reach areas that have exercised with the roller. Also achieved an earlier recovery, making sure it is ready for another load of work.
At any time, use it too provides a number of advantages that make the foam roller a tool to incorporate into daily routines:
- Working with roller points trigger that appear in the body promptly causes that pain will be reduced.
- Enhances the capacity of muscle movement, either thanks to the massage on tense areas or working in parts of the fascia or muscles that can not be used regularly.
- It increases the flexibility of the body due to muscle stretches that are achieved by foam rolling.
- He manages to relax the muscle, resulting in a feeling of well-being that automatically helps to reduce stress and cause a feeling of pleasure and happiness.
Never will need to work with the roller on the joints or bones.
Although the foam roller begins to see in every workout fitness or multitude of muscle recovery and physical therapy clinics, it is important to know that the practice of the rolling foam also has some contraindications that must take into account to avoid making mistakes that may adversely affect the health:
- The work performed by the foam roller is thinking for the muscles, fascia and points triggers, never for joints or bones. I.e., it can not work with roll over them because the risk of injury skyrockets.
- When is the lesion very recent, its use is not recommended since the body is not yet prepared to withstand such pressure. The time to start must decide you a physician or a physical therapist.
- In open wounds should not be used a foam roller because it multiplies the risk for that they open more or to become open if they have not yet healed.
- To work the foam roller to improve blood flow, should keep extreme care if you suffer circulatory problems. In this case, the best thing is to always go to the doctor and that is he who knows the health of each patient, who expose risks that would foam rolling and if it is or not suitable to practice it.
If you are beginner in the use of the rolling foam it is best that you seek one soft so that the muscles to get used to the pressure.
The most important before you start using foam rolling roller therapeutically is put in contact with a physical therapist to teach you the proper technique to try to alleviate pain or discomfort while using this technique may be more harmful than beneficial. It must also be an expert who mark the times of the sessions, because that should not be in damaged areas until pain forward.
The pressure that occurs in the muscles to work with the foam roller makes muscle on bones (especially in the extremities) can be nailed and causes a very sharp pain. It is normal or is good. If this situation arises, you have to do is add more points of support to distribute the weight and not so much death a part of the body; We must carry out a distribution of forces (such as when you are buying and spreads the weight of the more evenly between the two arms).
The most usual for who practice foam rolling is to work it considering it for after training, since it is designed to stretch the muscles and, in many cases, is understood as a way to reduce the cardiovascular activity to the point of origin before the start of training. However, the most appropriate is book 5 or 10 minutes before the rolling foam roller exercise to stretch the muscles to warm them.
One of the most everyday things for many practitioners of the sport is to have set specific dates for the exercise (for example, Monday – Friday) and the rest of days take them rest. Foam rolling never takes more than 20 minutes a day, can last even less than five minutes, so you can include its use also in the days of rest.
How to choose the foam roller suitable for everyone
If you are an amateur of the foam rolling the ideal is the one soft the muscles to get used to the pressure and pain to do that I will quickly cease this technique does not sit.
- Foam roller rollers there are smooth preparations for a very general work, for a job thinking more stretch and muscle recovery.
- Then would be those who remain regular non-smooth (usually have pictures or rectangles of varying relief) that are most appropriate to strengthen muscles without neglecting the work of recovery and elasticity.
- Finally, would the foam rollers irregular, more specific, designed thinking in specific areas of the body and the recovery from injury of those points.
Because it is easily in many sports stores and that almost any type can be found on the Internet, the price of the foam roller is not going to be very high, ranging between 20 and 50 euros.