The defenses of the female are reduced during pregnancy and infections may appear.
Pregnancy is one of the moments of the life of any woman that more changes occur. But these alterations not only occur in the gut to the future baby will grow and develop, but throughout the body. Women have to maximise their health care during those nine months and a very sensitive area is the vaginal, since precisely the gestation makes sure the intimate area is more exposed to certain problems, including infections, which may directly affect the fetus.
“The intimate hygiene during pregnancy requires special care, since due to physiological changes that they occur, predisposing to which are more frequent episodes of fungi as well as allergic reactions and irritations,” insists Dr. Sofia Ortega Ricondo, gynecologist Hospital Clínico San Carlos de Madrid and Costa Rica gynecological consultation.
For this reason, these new months, it is important to adapt certain lifestyle habits to care for the intimate zone of a more carefully with respect to other cycles of the life of a woman. And it is that hygiene is an essential habit to ward off possible infections or irritations in this sensitive area, even more so in an era in which the defenses of the female are reduced.
We cannot forget that, for example, at the end of pregnancy it often frequent the appearance of edema or vulvar varicose veins. “This, on many occasions, can cause discomfort and feeling of heaviness”, explains Dr. But it is not the only problem that may appear during this phase of life, since the natural pH changes slightly, which could favour the emergence of infections, such as thrush.
Most importantly, attend all indicated during pregnancy checkups and consult a specialist before any symptom or discomfort that will suffer, also in the intimate area. The specialist may recommend, if necessary, medical treatment and alter the habits of the pregnant woman.
An excess of cleaning of the vaginal area may also be contraindicated.
Pamper our hygiene is essential at all stages of the life of the woman, however, during gestation this habit becomes especially important, since it is at stake not only our health, but also of the future baby, who may be exposed to infections and other problems if we do not carry out a correct personal cleanliness.
Dr. Sofia Ortega Ricondo, gynecologist Hospital Clínico San Carlos de Madrid, helps us to establish a series of guidelines to take care of properly the intimate zone of a women while pregnant:
- We recommend washing the intimate zone once a day. It is important to note that very frequent washings can alter the vaginal flora, which is more fragile than during pregnancy.
- It is preferable that washing be done with hands, as there could be harmful microorganisms in sponges and gloves.
- The female intimate area washing must always be external, so if you are pregnant as if not, since the Interior of the vagina does not need any wash, since it protects from germs naturally. Intravaginal showers could further weaken the delicate vaginal flora during the months of pregnancy.
- You should use neutral soaps or intimate gels, always with a neutral pH. In pharmacies and specialty stores for pregnancy, but usually sell some special and medical contraindication, except those who have neutral pH, which are also used when the woman is not pregnant are sufficient.
- The water used must always be running. If intimate washing is carried out with the help of a hole, water should be new each time to avoid that the stalemate has produced harmful microorganisms that can end up producing Vulvovaginal problems.
- Disinfectant and vaginal sprays are completely contraindicated, except medical prescription.
- When you urinate, drying must be always from front to back to avoid that possible traces of feces or other potentially dangerous organisms that are found around the anus are accidentally introduced into the vagina.
- Compresses and the salvaslips are not advisable during pregnancy, since they can produce increased frequency of skin irritation and allergies, at the same time increase sweating in the area and thereby increase the frequency of vulvovaginal candidiasis.
- Only in cases in which it had suffered Vulvovaginal infections is recommended the use of probiotics, which are intended to improve the conditions of the vaginal flora and reduce their fragility.
- When annoyances are as increased flow or vulvar itching it is frequent to resort to self-medication, with the purpose to obtain a quick relief, which is a clear mistake. It is advisable that those women who feel discomfort Vulvovaginal attend specialist to make a correct diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
The best choice for pregnant women underwear are woven of cotton or breathable.
Due to the huge hormonal change that occurs during pregnancy, it is normal vaginal discharge increases and is denser than normal, since the internal area is preparing for childbirth. It is a reaction of the body’s natural and beneficial because it cleans the vagina which, however, is an artificial barrier in underwear. Even so, if the flow has a very strong smell, should go to the specialist because there might be an infection.
For this reason, Dr. Sofia Ortega Ricondo, gynecologist Hospital Clínico San Carlos de Madrid, recommended “underwear cotton or fabrics that are breathable”. If panties with synthetic fabrics are used, it is important to make sure the crotch area Yes is cotton. Since we should not use compresses or salvaslips, if necessary should change the former clothes even more frequently.
In addition, the gynaecologist advises women who are brewing to avoid wearing tight clothing, as this type of clothing “favors the onset of disorders at this level”.
Some specialist recommended even not to sleep with underwear to facilitate that you there is a concentration of moisture and thus increases the risk of infection or the appearance of fungi.
On the other hand, exercising is not, in principle, discouraged during pregnancy. If swimming is the chosen sport, it is important to remove the bathing suit wet immediately after finish the activity and wash and dry the area gently.