Baby’s first year is exciting. 365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months in which your child is going to make impressive progress. A year in which we will see how lost many hours of sleep, Yes, but also how the baby above all gives us many joys. These are great advances that your baby will be the first year.
In accelerated way, we see how a child wrapped in love and trust learns to recognize us, to smile ourselves, to love ourselves, to say his first words, taking new foods… Do little or nothing of newly born (at least at first glance), they experience a great evolution in these early months, fundamental in its development.
These are the new acquisitions in the first twelve months of the baby posed by breakthroughs in its evolution:
Movement: a great discovery
The advance in the motor skills of the baby is more evident during the first year. From its fragile newborn, baby is gradually taking strength and muscle tone. Psychomotor development in the first years of life is fascinating. Since they are born, babies develop your engine system together and fast paced, all their movements and the mode in which manipulates their environment.
In the motor development of babies and children the milestones can be distinguished between gross and fine motor skills practically from birth.
- We can say that the gross motor development is the first to make their appearance, from the moment that the baby starts to hold his head. Sit without support, crawl, walk, run, jump, climb stairs… are other achievements of gross motor skills that, with the passage of the years, will be acquiring and learning the child. The zero to four months, the baby can: lift your head and keep your hands open. Of the four to eight months, holding raised head and chest; wheel on the belly which is supine; takes objects to the mouth; joint hands. Eight to twelve months, sits unassisted; He gets up with a support; starts to crawl, creeps, glides along the ground when he learns to overcome obstacles, which represents a breakthrough for its autonomy; He gets mouth down changing positions when it is upside down; loose objects deliberately to catch others.
- For his part, fine motor development is evident a little later, when the baby discover is hands, moves them to looking at them and start trying to pick up the objects and manipulate your environment. Increasingly interested in more the objects that surround him wanting to catch them and handle them with your hands, which will encourage this development. Fine motor will include tasks from four months as slap, the ability to clamp to pick up objects; eight months performs parts towers, you pass objects from one to the other hand; cover or uncover objects; gives a toy. It later reached a high degree of complexity.
First corresponding to gross and fine motor skills tend to buy is simply in relation to the environment (as long as the baby has no sensory or physical problems). However, we can act to provide certain achievements or teach others through early stimulation exercises.
- Baby first year sharpens your senses in a surprising way. The first stimuli reach you the effect in the womb (light, sound, taste…) and birth the world opens as an exciting box of surprises. Hearing is almost perfect at birth, and that before were gurgling and deaf, distant sounds, they are amplified. At first the baby recognizes the maternal voice and you will soon learn to recognize new voices and sounds, initiating the linguistic recognition for the development of speech (next section). You love music, so that we can stimulate it through multiple activities with music for babies.
- In contrast to the ear, the view takes longer to develop: is the least developed sense in the newborn. At first, the baby has a very short and blurred vision, you can perceive changes in the intensity of light (flashes, reflexes, seen when a light turns from total darkness…) and can set contrast. From 10 weeks produced a remarkable breakthrough in the visual ability of baby: see your hands. It is able to perceive quite well the smallest details, and you can focus almost at any distance. The color vision develops between four and six months and the baby recognizes objects and search them with the look, being able to see more than. You will go see just some 20-30 centimeters of newly born (enough to see the face of the breast to the chest) up to six-seven months, when it is able to focus, follow objects with the view and explore them to distance.
- In terms of touch, it is the most important sense for baby in regards to explore their environment. At birth you need skin to skin contact and then will continue needing, to the chest, with kisses, caresses, massages, baths… As a result they are discovering multiple sensations. Little by little, baby not only receives the stimuli of heat and cold, they will begin to explore everything at your fingertips with hands, feet and mouth.
- With regard to taste, before birth the fetus receives the flavours of the maternal diet through the amniotic fluid, so it will be having different taste experiences. And although at first the baby savor exclusively breast milk, through it you will receive different gustatory stimuli, since breastmilk contains hundreds of different flavors that come from the power of the mother. After six months, the flavors and textures are diversified with complementary feeding.
- We finished with the sense of smell in people has too much but going to constitute a source of stimuli in the baby, extending the range of smells when they are born and learn to recognize MOM because they smell it.
Baby communicates: advances in expression
It is a mistake to think that the babies are only communicating with words. Before learning to speak already tell us many things, communicate in many different ways: with the weeping, staring, with gestures… And it is that, while you are assimilating the spoken language, these other forms of expression will be used to achieve understanding.
From the first month and baby learn to express themselves practicing crying, movements of arms and legs… Subsequently begins to emit babbling and imitate basic sounds that learns from its environment. The first words that are really imitations of syllables ‘easy’ for them and no specific meaning, such as “pa-pa”, “ma-ma”, “da – da”. “ga-ga”… come around the ocho-nueve months. 11-12 months, already associate these words with their referents (dad, MOM, water…).
If there is a problem of development, the baby will exponentially increase its linguistic capacity during the second year. But there are certain mistakes that we must avoid if we want to help language development baby and, in the same way, there are ways to encourage baby’s language development.
All these advances in your motor, senses, in his expression… give great baby autonomy at the psychological level, for they are also great achievements: pick up objects, ask and who understand you, move freely through space… They begin to explore the world in a more complex and exciting, in a process of learning and unstoppable curiosity.
In short, these are the breakthroughs that will succeed in your baby during the first year of life. In these twelve months, everything about the child will have a vital importance in the formation of their personality. For this reason, we must not forget that affection, attention and all the stimuli received from us are key for their physical and emotional development, as is beginning to shape the personality of the child.