Stop using nappies is synonymous with make greater and, effectively, the bladder or bowel control requires maturity physical and mental by children, when they still do not control the bladder it is because part of the nervous system responsible for has not matured enough.
There is a specific age to control the urine in advance to go to the bathroom. After 18 months, some children may begin to be aware that they have a full bladder, but few children learn to control your urine before the three years, and it can be normal pipi to escape up to five years. However, if the child has more than five years and wets the bed, or wet it after having learned to control urination at night, it is necessary to go to the pediatrician, since you may have nocturnal enuresis.
Therefore, same that occurs with the rest of learning, in the bladder or bowel control each child takes their rhythm and what matters is that detect signals which tell us that our son is ready to teach how you to go to the bathroom by himself. It of no use to advance the withdrawal of diaper if the boy or girl are not ready, since the only thing that we will do will be to lengthen the process.
The majority of children develop physical and mental skills necessary to control sphincter between 18 and 24 months, and whether they are prepared as if they are not, moreover, reflect a certain behavior so parents can guess at what moment.
Are you ready to leave the diaper?
Children are prepared to leave the diaper and start to go to the bathroom by themselves when the majority of these signals or signs can be seen. It is not necessary to meet all, to start with the training to learn how to get to the bathroom and identify the desire to pee or poop in advance:
- The boy or girl have developed the bladder muscles to retain and store urine when they are dry for periods of three or four hours.
- They can urinate fairly once.
- His bowel movements are regular, soft, and well formed.
- They walk and run with balance and strength.
- They are able to sit and stay in the same position for three to six minutes.
- They can climb and get off the pants themselves.
- They identify the words for urine and bowel movements, even if they are your own and your environment to understand.
- They follow simple instructions.
- They know the importance of order and keep everything in place.
- They perceive the physical signs (full bladder, stomach pain) to go to the bathroom and can say it before you do.
Signs of behavior
- They show that they are a phase cooperative and receptive, not of “denial”.
- They are upset with the dirty diaper.
- They want to imitate their parents and brothers when they go to the bathroom.
- They express that they are making pee or poop with noises, ducking or verbally.
- They are proud of their achievements.
- They want to learn to use the potty or reducer for the WC.
- They are more independent and autonomous.
As important as well interpret the signals that your child is ready to go to the bathroom by himself is well choose the moment to make it best suited to teach you, so much for children as for parents. A situation of normality in the family, without too much stress, guests, changes, removals, a sibling will… facilitate and a lot your child adapt to the use of the bathroom.
For children, it is essential to follow a routine to grow with a stable emotional development. This routine makes them feel safe and is essential to keep it for new changes in your life as the training to go to the bathroom. On the emotional level, should also let pass the stage of the ‘ denial or not ‘, in which children are shown to be more resistant to change and therefore, it will be more difficult to teach.
Like everything in this teach your child to use the water alone, there are strategies that work and things that should not be made. Notes:
Strategies that work
- Idea your action plan: a plan of action is necessary in any case. It is possible that you are you the only one dealing with the training of your son, but if he goes to school children, caring for her grandparents or a caregiver, it is important to coordinate strategy with them. The method to be followed may be radical, which consists of diaper replace underwear, which can lead to more leaks and cleaning of accidents; or mixed, consisting of alternate hours of honeycomb with hours of underwear, especially if you have to move in long car, and during the night, since the night control is acquired later than daytime control.
- Waiting to be prepared: check signals physical, cognitive and behavioral listing to determine if your child is ready to say goodbye to the diaper. It is not necessary that it meets all the requirements of the list, but keep in mind that if you organized and not ready, training to teach you to go to the bathroom alone elongates over time.
- You have patience and calm with accidents: many parents prefer to wait for the summer, since less clothing is used with good weather and unexpected escapes give less work. In any case, whatever the period you have chosen, you have patience and never scold your little for its leaks, because they are involuntary, normal and are part of their training. Stay calm and encourage you with love to using his potty, bearing in mind that it may take months until you get controlled sphincters. Remember that very recently it has developed your muscles to hold their needs.
- Applauds his achievements: the so-called ‘positive reinforcements’ are the best gift that you can make the child when you have managed to make pee or poop in the bathroom. Your approval and recognition are necessary to continue their learning process and not “pull the towel” or suffer a setback.
What you should never do
- Punish the child: scold or punish your child for their escapes is the worst thing you can do, because you fear you’ve angered and end up hating the training. When conduct is maintained over time, it may cause even constipation and pain to try to contain the evacuations. It is best to motivate the child to get him back to try to successfully.
- Press or overstressing: avoid overwhelm the child to get it its purpose before his birthday or until you finish vacation, for example, you can cause an opposite effect, i.e., a refusal to go bathroom.
- Start ahead of time. It is estimated that three months is the average time of training a ready kid needs to go to the bathroom by himself. If, after that time has not succeeded, nothing, leave it for later, when signs indicate you that you are ready.
- Choose an inappropriate moment. A change of House, the arrival of a little brother, the adaptation to the nursery… represent a change in the routine of children, which is not compatible with training for the bladder or bowel control. It hopes to get the timing.
As all learning process, the stop using the diaper to go to the bathroom alone also has to be done step by step. To achieve this successfully, and help you along the way, here are some tricks so that you start using the bathroom by myself:
It allows you to see and you imitate. Whenever I show curiosity, when you go to the bathroom, let your child be with you and see how do you. It is much easier when there is one big brother in the family.
Buy the proper accessory and teach you to use it. Urinals and WC reducers are adapted to the size of the children, and so you should explain it to your son that you learn to use it in the bathroom. Choose which you like by its form or its color, and you can even customize it with your name. You can conduct demonstrations with a doll or Teddy and invite you to sit and try dress. You can also tell you that it will prove no pants when you feel that you want to pee and do. The most important thing is that you don’t push you and you learn to go to the bathroom by himself as if it were a game.
Teach children to sit. Both boys and girls must learn to do seated pis, at the beginning. Once have controlled micturition sitting on the potty or reducer for the WC, children can imitate adults and pee standing. This mode also requires a training to avoid splattering, the penis of children usually remain horizontal during urination, or wet room bathroom, if the child is rotated when they call you or an oversight.
Teach girls to be cleaned properly. Girls should learn to wipe from front to back to avoid infections. This is one of the most important things that girls must learn to make their depositions, to avoid carrying the bacteria into the urethra and the vagina. Urinary tract infections tend to have higher incidence during the training to go to the bathroom. Consultation with the pediatrician if the girl says it hurts to urinate, need to pee frequently or complains of abdominal pain to rule out a urine infection.
Buy lingerie for your child. Panties and underpants are a novelty for children when they are replaced by diapers. They are like underwear elders, like underpants of Dad or MOM panties and as he or she also elders are being made now are going to be able to use them. New underwear, as well as motivate children, gives them the feeling of being dirty or wet when there are leaks, and helps them in their task of learning to contain sphincters.
Can he walk naked / to. Always accompany climate, you can remove diaper so he walk naked and you can really see what happens when she wants to go to the bathroom. As with the use of underwear, this idea also encourages and helps in the learning process. However, you will have to have patience with the cleaning and leaks, since you must not scold you or scold you for their accidents.
It celebrates their achievements. It is normal that at first no it goes well, and for this reason, you should encourage you to that try again again and again, as if it were a game. When you get your purpose to your needs in the bathroom, celebrate it with him and encourage you again to get the next time.
Avoid turning every trip to the bathroom into an event. You will only achieve that the child gets nervous, and with nerves, it is more difficult to control the sphincters. It is also possible that it intimidates him much slack attention and cost you more towards the goal.
Prizes and rewards. They can be useful when half of the learning process begin to lose interest. A calendar with stickers, a sweet at the end of the week, a visit to a site that you like… are good incentives to put more interest in learning, provided that you do so because he or she need it, and not because you feel frustrated. If you have any doubts, you can use tricks to make the time to go to the bathroom more fun. For example, place a few drops of coloring “making magic” and convert the pis in blue or read a story while you’re sitting, can encourage them in this intermediate stage.
Controlling nighttime urination is as graduating in the difficult task of controlling the sphincter. In fact, specialists believe that night leaks are normal up to seven years of age, and from then on, it is advisable to consult your doctor. These are some signs that indicate you that your little is ready to sleep without honeycomb:
- Dawn dry more than four or five nights followed throughout the week.
- It rejects the diaper and don’t want to use it at night.
- It’s been at least six months since you don’t use diaper during the day.
One of the first indications that warn parents that their children may be ready to stop using diaper at night is when they begin to be dry after NAPs. However, it is very different to wake up dry after one or two hours, that after eight or nine hours of nightly sleep.
Before you begin the night training, you should buy a pair of mattress protectors to be removable, if accidents occur at night. In addition, whenever possible should wait for the summer, since cold children can suffer to damp spending several hours and gives much more work wash all bed linen, since there are include rugs, bedspreads or comforters.
What can you do to help you succeed?
- Avoid giving him drink from the seven or eight in the evening, i.e. two hours before you go to sleep.
- Get him to go to the bathroom just before going to bed to make sure it starts with empty bladder sleep.
In the event that he wet the bed during several days in a row, replace him diaper and leave it for later, without criticizing him or scold him for not to create anxiety for failing its purpose. Explain that when you grow up a little more, you’re ready to achieve this and congratulate you on your success have got to go to the bathroom by myself during the day, since in the same way you will get for the night.
Sometimes, children feel rejection to go to the bathroom alone. Sometimes, fear it, it costs them because they are estreñidos or unwilling to make their needs outside the House or in the nursery or in public places, or have suffered a setback and now back to pee on.
To help you solve it, be patient, stay calm and studies to fund what is the reason for the rejection of your child to use the water. It starts almost from the start with learning, leave the child to bring his own rhythm and that become accustomed again to this process. Here are some problems that may arise in the process to teach him to use the bathroom only:
You don’t want to use the bathroom. There are several reasons why children may refuse to use the bathroom:
- The fear. One of them is usually the fear that produces them that dark hole that is the toilet, the Cup seem too big for them and they believe that you can sneak inside. The solution may be to buy a urinal in his taste, which themselves can choose the store and start from scratch to teach them to always use it sitting. If the only thing that frightens them is its enormous size you can opt a reducer of WC to feel safe. You will have to buy also a footstool or step so they can ride by themselves.
You can also teach you to pull chain or press the button to become accustomed to the sound and to see how the toilet paper disappears and is clean again.
- The denial. Another reason may be a phase of rebellion or denial that all children go through, and characterized by saying ‘no’ to everything or almost everything. When children go through this situation it is better to leave this learning for more later when they are most receptive. But if the training has already started and you want to continue, these tips can help: avoiding remind them continually. To do this, leave your urinal in a visible place of the House so the can see it constantly and so won’t have to remind you.
Do not insist on you sit. If you feel and do not leave him, and see that it rises, it is possible to have an escape. However, avoid insisting you because it will resist, avoid sitting on the potty and will exercise its denial as a power. You have patience with accidents and stay calm, make him see that it is his, not yours.
He praises their achievements. Congratulate him for his success not only when he does well, but during the whole process. Give you confidence, give the ear with praise and motivate you to do it the next time and every time.
It refuses to poop in the bathroom. When children have no problem in pee on the potty, but are reluctant to make home, the motive can be constipation or a bad experience.
- He is constipated. Children often reject the urinal or bath Chair when they feel pain doing their bowel movements. Unconsciously retarding the moment to go to the bathroom, and this creates a vicious circle, since feces are stored, it increases the pain and start stomach problems. If your child is constipated increases its consumption of liquids and fruit juices and enters their food more fruits and vegetables, and foods with fiber that you can find in cereals, cookies, and breads.
- It’s been a bad experience. It is possible that you have witnessed an unpleasant situation related to an escape from a colleague of the kindergarten or a brother Lee, or that he or she has been the protagonists. In this case, you can help an educational book, which teaches that the toilet is something that we all do and nothing happens.
It doesn’t have to go to the bathroom in public places. It is possible that due to a privacy issue. In this case, studies the routine of going to the bathroom in your nursery or school, make sure what bothers you and thinks about how correct it. Explained the matter to her teachers or caregivers to start a joint strategy.
In public places, it is recommended to always accompany the children to the bathroom so that they are not alone and you can help them on everything you may require, in addition to providing confidence living with MOM or dad. It is logical that it seems strange to use a large toilet or is not yours, perhaps not reach and do not know how to use it.
It has suffered a setback. It usually happens when it is born a new brother, by a change of address, school or College, by the separation of the parents… Any change in your usual routine may cause that the child is not controlling sphincter again and, generally, is a form of attention. For this reason, it is convenient not to scold him, neither do dramas, nor give too much importance, because then you will see so you must be able to.