If a left-handed child don’t see their needs cared for, it can refuse to let that the left side of his body predominates.
Laterality phenomenon, i.e., that the brain order that it dominates one side or another body, is what explains to be left-handed. It is a control of cross shape, since the left hemisphere directs the right side, and vice versa. Therefore, the right side of the brain is the predominant in left-handers and makes them be more skilled with the left.
Apparently, this predominance has some genetic component: “know that the left-handed there is a hereditary component, since if the father or mother are left-handed increases the probability that you are children, but there is a genetic model clearly explain how this trait is transmitted.” It is believed that the manual preference (right- or left-handed) related to the development of cerebral asymmetry, which could intervene genes as the LRRTM1, but is not yet fully tested”, explains Professor of psychobiology at the University Autonoma of Madrid José Eugenio Ortega Ruano.
In fact, this genetic component falters when we look at identical twins (which also several investigations have been conducted), with the same genetic code, but one left-handed and the other right-handed. The case of the U.S. players is Mike and Bob Bryan. Known as the brothers wonder, everyone plays with one hand, and this makes them be some tough rivals and have much success on the slopes.
Thus, none of the investigations carried out achieved prove a determining genetic influence. For now, the common agreement of the scientific community is that there is a small genetic propensity, but that the social and cultural environment are those just determine the lefthanders.
That “social or cultural pressure” causes the left-handed is still in many places something that hides or prevents, and the data are a reflection of this. Around 10% of the world population is left-handed, more men than women (in Spain, more than 5 million people are), but it is not known exactly, because it still tends to hide. The expert José Eugenio Ortega points out: “the percentage of left-handed people varies in different populations, becoming 13% in those countries that accepted before the left-handed at school (i.e. allowed left-handed children to write with his left hand), as is the case in Australia”.
As a result of all this, many left-handers have historically ended being Ambidextrous, or as the Professor Ortega, this situation has caused that “southpaws are much more working with your right hand to the right with your left hand. The world forces them”.
Prevent problems of left-handed children
Although being left-handed is something relatively standardized today, yet it a disadvantage, because these people will encounter numerous obstacles. That is why, from the moment in which we prove that our son is left-handed and he recognizes it as such, we must begin to support him and help him not feel different. This is critical, because if the small don’t see their needs cared for properly they may even refuse to leave that the left side of his body predominates: “it will develop a resistance, because it is easier and more comfortable to learn to do some things with the right hand,” States José Eugenio Ortega Ruano, Professor of Psychobiology of the Autonomous University of Madrid.
And that the child was not decant by any cerebral hemisphere of definite form can cause many problems, ranging from clumsiness, psychomotor disorders of reading and writing, dyslexia, or even symptoms of psychological such as irritability, low self-esteem or discouragement. Therefore, since our son starts to show signs of his left-handed, there to normalize the situation and help you to be as independent as possible in their daily lives because, undoubtedly, go encounter many challenges.
In the school stage the matter is complicated a little more, entering game writing. It is the turn of teachers, who must also be active agents in this rather peculiar upbringing of children left-handed in a right-handed world.
Although the left-handed is not any defect corrected, should help the child to acquire skills to handle well with the left side.
Although not all children develop preference or side at the same time, approximately at 5 years most of them already showing clear signs of lefthanders. Up to three years, it is common to experiment with both sides of your body, but as they begin to write better check the predominance of left or right (6-7 years is already defined permanently). It is true that at this stage the small also can go giving clues to performing continuously different tasks with the left side of his body, mainly those that require strength or ability: shoot the ball, look for a hole or through the viewfinder through a telescope or wink an eye, teeth brushing, blow your nose, open different objects, turn the pages of a story…
Here begins the work of parents, relatives and caregivers, raising a left-handed child. Expressed in this way it seems that we are facing a problem, and somehow so. The left-handed is not any defect to correct, but nevertheless there are that help the child to acquire the necessary skills to handle well with the left side in the day to day. So your son go developing and establishing this laterality correctly, becoming one of its distinctive features, you should normalize it and integrate it into their development, helping you to manage tasks.
Professor of psychobiology at the University Autonoma of Madrid José Eugenio Ortega Ruano exposes that “the main problem that left-handed children are found is the lack of role models, since parents or teachers are usually right-handed”. And recommended that the autonomy of the child be sought from the outset in different activities: “It is better to teach how the knot of shoes than resorting systematically to velcro”.
These boards, with patience and dedication, will you find helpful:
- Teach him to do things in ‘mirror mode’, in other words, if both parents are right-handed, you must put in front of him and go guiding him as if he was looking in the mirror. Thus, imitating you with his left side of the body is much easier.
- Provide the maximum possible tools so you don’t have problems. Everything is designed to be manipulated with the right: think of as everyday objects such as scissors, cutlery, a can opener, a corkscrew, control of console video games (with the main controls on the right), or a computer keyboard (which has the numbers and keys to the right). Or, going a little further, a guitar, a palette of painter, a camera, or a baseball glove. For this reason, the child must have their own adapted objects, allowing a good ergonomics and a proper performance of the work, making learning easier and more motivating. Zurdoteca, in Chile, the navarra corner of the left-handed, left-handed in Argentina, or the English pioneer Anything Left Handed shop, are just some examples of specialty shops to buy what we need, some with the option of selling online.
- Speak with teachers and ask them to pay him attention the child at school, helping him as much as possible. And it is that teachers have to be other key agents in the child’s upbringing the southpaw, and must especially watch certain areas as the writing.
And if despite all your efforts, you find them it would be necessary to seek help from professionals, do not hesitate to do so.
At the College, left-handed children have school materials appropriate for them.
When our son begins to go to school, being a lefty is much more exposed, crops up constantly, and this is a hard test to overcome for the small. “In classes, left-handers are a minority and they feel different just to see that others use the right. Not are typically pay no special attention”, says Professor of psychobiology at the University Autonoma of Madrid José Eugenio Ortega Ruano.
It is thus; There are many gaps which is a left-handed child at school. In this sense, teachers should be aware and do its part so that these students integrate as well as possible and to develop their lefthanders in a satisfactory manner.
Therefore, the teacher in class should be:
- 1 sit them on the right the first place is to search for the child a site where it is comfortable (there you will pass many hours in a day), as any other student. If desks are double, Professor has to sit down to the left-hander on the left side, to avoid that it hit his elbow another right-handed fellow. Or, if any, will be placed together two left-handed children. If the chairs are shovel or trowel, would have to seek a specific left-handers or, if not possible, put together two, so they use the palette of the left.
In addition, efforts are made to place them in areas where they have better visibility from its left side, to promote the learning to see how to write the professor from the same angle in which they look what is written (from the classroom to the right half).
- 2 equip them with the necessary objects similar to at home, in school children need their own objects and tools. Fortunately, in the case of school materials, there are numerous objects adapted for left-handed: notebooks with the spiral on the left or on top, pencils, mechanical pencils, paints or ergonomic pens (of triangular shapes), scissors with reversed blades, rules numbered from right to left, or pencil sharpener blades right-oriented. The Sharpener is precisely one of the instruments most used a left-handed child, because that tends to tighten much pencil against paper, frequently breaking mine.
But despite this effort from the industry to provide left-handed students all the necessary material, unfortunately schools still don’t gamble for this reason. “It is relatively common in the classroom there are any left-handed scissors, but nothing more,” says Professor Ortega. And he adds, “If you don’t have the proper utensil, the child does the task and is believed to be awkward”.
- 3 be pending the adaptation of the teaching activities should seek to integrate the child in each activity, since many of them are designed for right-handers. “We think a drawing in symmetry; the left hand is always made, and which must be completed is right”, indicates José Eugenio Ortega. And “why not propose a game in which the children draw with the other hand?”, added the expert. This Professor, who is also author of the book ten tips to write with the left hand, even proposed that “the teacher try to write on the Blackboard with your left hand so that the child can imitate it”.
In addition, the teacher must be pending further details to left-handed students placed well columns of numbers to addition and subtraction, and that do not have reading problems (since your brain tends to read from right to left, and problems can occur as dyslexia, which also affects the writing).
And let’s not forget us new technologies, more and more present in the classroom. Teacher must ensure that the southpaw has adapted its own tablet or computer (for example, configure the mouse to be used with the left hand).
Ultimately, the goal is that some do not feel ‘ bugs raros´ and can learn as fluidly as the others.
Until you start to write, there to teach left-handed children well take the pencil or ball point pen.
The scope of the writing is especially problematic for left-handers. For this reason, it is essential to focus on it since the child starts with this learning.
The small must adapt to scriptural norms of writing from left to right, contrary to what comes naturally to him, so does it his way. It tends to put your hand hooked in writing, making a tight clamp to pick up the pen or pencil, and bending the wrist to see so what you will be writing. This is a forced position, which makes the task more cumbersome and slower. In addition, hand, writing from right to left, pushing the pen or pencil (rather than pull it as does a right-handed) and so will passing above written, spots and smears. It is not rare either get it to break the paper.
Therefore, the first thing you need to do is teach the child to take well pencil or pen, with the thumb and forefinger, making clip. Then, it is essential to provide the position of the paper, so that small do not twist your hand, giving you a notebook with the spiral on right side or at the top or, better still, loose folios that it can place as you are more comfortable (left-facing), and even that is absorbent. In addition, it is important to have a pen slides well (with gel ink) and fast drying; and we can even give you an ergonomic adapter of writing which improves the attachment of the pencil.
And when you start writing, make a small mark on the top left of the sheet, so that he knows from where must begin to do so (at the beginning can start learning by drawing a horizontal line from that point, which serves as the child Guide).
With this “pedagogy of writing” we will achieve a smooth writing and readable but, obviously, requires lots of practice and special attention, both at home and at school should be paid.
Teaching left-handed children all this also will be able to improve their calligraphy (also can use specific signatures for this purpose), which tends to be rather poor. Precisely because of the peculiar way of writing that these small have, they tend to write the words with an uneven spacing, lean over the letters, make some features (especially the ovals) backwards, or rippled lines.
It will also be interesting to note how, if we ask the child to sign, he will do it to the right of the paper, for its natural writing right-to-left tendency.